- Plant based food like fruit and Veg, whole grain, legume and nuts, replace butter with healthy fat like olive and canola oil, using natural herb and spices instead of salt to flavor food and limiting red meat to no more than few times a month (mediterianean diet).
- Antioxidants including vitamin C, E, and carotenoids are important nuroprotective agents for PD.
- Wet cooking method is recommended like; boiling, steaming, poaching, simmering, etc. for better retention of nutritive value and to avoid difficulty swallowing.
There are a number of foods that a person can eat that may reduce their Parkinson’s symptoms. These include fish oils, fava beans, foods that are high in antioxidants, and foods that are rich in vitamins B1, C, and D.
There are also some foods that a person with Parkinson’s may wish to avoid. These include processed foods such as canned fruits and vegetables, dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, and low fat milk, and those that are high in cholesterol and saturated fat
Common PD Symptoms and Recommended Diet
- For constipation drink more fluid, consume more fiber (aim 30-40g/day_ from fruit, vegetable, beans, whole grain, nut and seed.)
- For difficulty in swallowing, softening food and adding food that will stimulate swallowing such as seasoned, sour or carbonated foods can help in addition to techniques like tucking your chin to your chest when you swallow.
- For low blood pressure it’s advised to increase fluid and salt intake but counsel physician if you have conditions like heart and kidney problem. Limit caffeine and alcohol since dehydrating and lower blood pressure. Eating frequent small meals can smooth blood pressure fluctuation.
- For unexpected weight loss eating small but frequent and balanced meals can help.
- For muscle cramps eat yellow mustard, which contain turmeric. Drink tonic water which contains quinine. Others say salt, vinegar or pickle juice work. So stay hydrated.
For sleep problem Hunger may disturb sleep; a light snack before bed may help, but avoid greasy or heavy foods, excessive liquids in the evening, caffeinated beverages, especially in the evening, alcohol, especially in the evening and the use of tobacco.
- For tremors avoid caffine and consume foods rich in calcium like milk, cheese, broccoli and spinach
- For deppresion consume omega 3 fatty acids like tuna, salmon, mackerel, flaxseed and walnut.
- Taking Levodopa with high protein meal may reduce its absorption so it’s better to take 30 min before of 1 hour after meal on an empty stomach.
- Get checked for H.pylori if unexpected weight loss occur and consult dietitian for proper care which may include supplements.